Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reading

Thank goodness there is no commandment regarding blogging at work. The office dog is barking sharply and apparently has not chewed enough sticks this morning. I am craving Starbucks, more so every time there is a yip. Yip. Frappucino. Yip. Frappucino. Despite finding the fluffy little ankle-biter (only too literal) adorable, I'm going to need caffeine to get through this morning.

Why? Well...I've been on a reading kick. Suddenly, I'm finding book after book that might be interesting. Instead of loitering past the SFF section and daydreaming about writing, I'm finding myself susceptible to small press book ads and genres that I would ordinarily skip. Instead of (er...in addition to) reading the how-to books, I'm reading "why" books. Books on the theory behind fairy tales (are they truly all about Oedipus?) and books on the transcendence of certain types of journeys. Mysteries and romances and natural history and, of course, classic SFF. I'm hoping that this means that my mental studio is being re-fitted for a more productive rest of the year, but I'll settle for having a cheery spring full of good books.

Now, if only I could find that perfect "70's" book (or "80's" book) to fill out my books-summarizing-the-decade reading list. Any suggestions?

Chrissa

1 comment:

GmanD said...

That's a tall order for the perfect "70's" or "80's" book, but I think Fast Times at Ridgemont High (NOT THE MOVIE!) could be a good suggestion for the 80's.
I can relate to the litterary infusion. I'm not writing at the time, but I am coming back to enjoying a good book. Let's hope some of that rubs off on us both. :)
Gary