Sunday, January 27, 2008

AND MUSIC IS HER NAME - by Theresa Laws HFC Member

AND MUSIC IS HER NAME
By
Theresa Laws
HFC Member

When last I blogged, the subject was the origin of ideas: “What if?” and “How come?”
My writing also has a sound track. My CD wallets hold Dvorak’s Symphony #9 and Kid Rock, Garth Brooks and Il Divo, but the bulk of the spaces are taken up with Rock and Roll. I admit it- that’s the music that makes me smile and gives me ideas. The lyrics, the tunes, even the delivery conjure up so many pictures in my mind, and as Rod Stewart says – “Every picture tells a story.”
Listening to music for me is all consuming. When I listen, I give it my full attention. I cannot work to music, clean house to music, or even write to music, but when I do write, I use the images and emotions I’ve felt to create my story.
I think it started with the Country Western videos. While it’s not my favorite genre of music, I will admit that I’m impressed with the stories. Rock videos tend to feature the bands, but the Country Western ones tell a good story and that got me thinking.
At first, I thought about the older rock songs, the ones satellite radio calls “Classic Vinyl”. I thought, “Wouldn’t it be neat to do music videos with those songs and tell those stories?” The more I thought of it, the more I listened, the more I built on those stories in my head. I shaped them, filled in back story, and plotted endings.
Of course, some songs are just songs. “In a Gada Da Vida” is just a tune, but “Bring Me To Life” by Evanescence, inspired me to write an entire novel. I heard the lyrics “Save me from the nothing I’ve become” and I had a story about righting a past wrong.
Another great lyric is from Pink Floyd’s “Sorrow”. “He’s chained forever to a world that departed. It’s not enough, it’s not enough.” I’m still working on another novel inspired by those words about a lost love.
And, here’s what I see when Alan Jackson sings “She’s Gone Country” - Pink, pointy toed boots. But now you play along with me on this one and help me out with my character. What kind of jeans do you see with those boots? Dark denim, creased and starched? Faded and frayed around the bottoms? Or…Daisy Dukes? Think carefully. It will define your character and steer the direction of your story. What fun.
I can’t play an instrument, and my singing makes animals restless, but I can picture a story to almost any song. I’m just glad there are musicians out there who send me their stories and feelings through their tunes.
Theresa

4 comments:

Dorlana said...

I've never heard the song, but I think it would be funny to have a character that dresses like a lot of people think a country person would dress. You know fringes and a cow hide vest.

Sheryl Lynn said...

I would vote dark denim blue jeans, creased, with rhinestone accents!

GmanD said...

How about a the tragic, halucinogenic story that would be born from Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody? Now there is a story!

Joy said...

Nothing wakes up my muse like a great story-song... probably because a great song leaves me wanting to know more about the story. In defense of Jimmy Buffett, so recently trashed by me here in this self-same blog for his meandering fiction-writing skills, his songs light a fire in my mind, wanting more, more, MORE of his musical story. I don't "hear" music when I write, but I find song plots creeping into my stories.

OMG! Have I done Buffett an injustice????? ...... naaaaaaaaaaaaah.....