Sunday, July 1, 2007

Justin's blog.

My name is Justin Michael Denton.

From what I’ve seen, read, and heard this group is unique and one of the most diverse fellowships of writers I’ve ever seen. Remember the Inklings? You know; the group C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien helped create. Those two turned out to be the most accomplished writers of their time, and I can only hope some members of our group will have the same success.

I am 14 years old and going to high school next year. English was always my favorite subject because I could write in those classes. I remember every time the teacher would put my story on a projector and read it aloud for us; I was always so proud. Even though the other kids hated the teacher, I respected her opinion.

I am currently writing a book that I give to many friends at school one chapter at a time. I even have some quotes!

‘Man, this dude can WRITE’ – Chris Lopez, 8th grade.

‘It’s like a professional wrote it’ – Zach Crenshaw, 8th grade.

‘I can’t wait for the next chapter’ – C.D. (Carry), 7th grade.

What I’m working on is a twelve-book series (gasp!) about an underground society called Ka no Sekai, which is roughly Japanese for ‘World of Fire’. I’m really trying to make this first book fantastic to get an audience for the rest of the series.

Now, let me tell you how much of a joy it has been to be part of the writer’s group. I think every member adds some spice to the brew, and the outcome can only become more and more delicious.

At first I thought I was the only member under 18 until Darah showed up. I was SPECIAL. I was UNIQUE. I STILL AM. But now there are two of us 14 year-olds.
She killed it.

Ignoring my last comment, Darah and I have been working together on some projects for the dichotomy book. Or at least we were, until I got bored with everything and began making up stories on the fly. She can write some opposites of mine if she wants, but now I’ve just lost interest in the whole thing. Now she sits next to me and bullies me. I mean it. Make her stop.

Don’t get me wrong. The ‘Split’ thing is a good idea (although I’m not so keen on the rather simplistic title). I just can’t be put under the strain of a deadline that puts limitations on my work. It must be that ‘wild and free’ spirit I have. I’ve written a few things for the dichotomy, most of them I’m not so proud of, but they work, and that’s fine.

I used to get my ideas for stories from dreams. That was a mistake. On one side I can never manage to have dreams anymore. And the dreams I do have that are mildly interesting are too muddled.

I really have no idea how Ka no Sekai was created. It was an idea that was growing very slowly. So far, many people seem to like it, and that inspires me to finish it. The first book is about a not-so-regular boy named Jordan who has a past so mysterious even he can’t figure it out. He stumbles into a world-wide clan that houses people that have unlocked their inner abilities and gives them a place to live and study.

I am a fan of all sorts of writing (as long as it’s fiction), and so far I’ve seen our group produce inspirational writing, horror, poetry, speculative fiction, and almost anything else you might think of.

Alas, since I am on vacation in Ohio, this entry was a little late. Sorry if I made anyone in the group worry. But hopefully this is a worthwhile addition.

Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Your blog entry is DEFINATELY worth reading, Justin. You're a very talented guy.